Whatever ways you find to partake, please make sure you share them with us! We want to be able to show the celebration as it happens across the continent, starting NOW and throughout 2015.
Send us your snapshots, stories, videos and sounds whenever you’re doing something to celebrate 100 years of dance and song! Here’s how to share!
Facebook: “Country Dance and Song Society (CDSS)”
Submit a Story!
Here are some specific ideas to get you started
- Get Press Contact your local paper or media outlet, tell them about your group or event and how you are part of 100 years of dance, music or song in North America. Share it with us!
- CDSS story project Submit a story!
- What We Believe Meditate on the importance of our traditions in your life and describe what you find through a “What We Believe” essay. Do the writing prompt as a group and hold a group reading in your community (and...share it with us! You get the idea…)
- Celebrate your local heroes by writing up and sending us a story that recognizes someone who keeps traditions alive or makes things happen in your community.
- Write a history of your community, we’ll share it on our Centennial site.
- Interview someone you’ve always wanted to talk to about how they got started dancing, singing or playing music. Send us an inspiring soundbite. Check out some already on our site.
- Selfies with Cecil If Cecil Sharp, folk song and dance collector and cofounder of CDSS, shows up in your community, take a “selfie” with him and post it to our Facebook wall! We'll also include it on our Selfies with Cecil page on the site
- Send someone to camp Nominate a young person from your community for a NGI (New Generation Initiative) scholarship so they can experience a CDSS camp for the first time. Or, commit to raise money for a matching scholarship to send any one person from your community to camp.
- Send us your event to add to the dance map and/or events calendar.
- Spread the Joy Make a contribution to the Spread the Joy campaign.
- Start a mentorship program to ensure the next 100 years are great.
- Invite someone new to a dance, music or song event.
- Explain who CDSS is and what we do to someone who doesn’t yet know.
- Travel to a new dance or song event, meet and thank the people who made it happen. Get a Passport to Joy sticker from participating locations.